Most of my paints are Utrecht professional quality oil paints. They are good quality, affordable, and ship quickly. Buying after clicking through the links below gives a little profit back to this site.
I hope you find the right supplies for you. Let me know if you need help.
- I just use a recycled piece of thick glass with the edges taped. I prefer glass to any other pallet material. Look for thicker glass, and mount it to something solid so it doesn’t crack and hurt you.
- I love filbert bristle brushes, sizes 2, 4, and 8.
- Having a couple soft brushes is important, too. I like my soft brushes in flat or bright (which is just flat but longer), a size 8 or 1/2-3/4″.
On my pallet:
I use mostly Utrecht Artists Brand paint, linked here. I think it’s a good value and good quality.
- Titanium White – https://www.anrdoezrs.net/links/8393718/type/dlg/https://www.utrechtart.com/items/02122-1015/
- Alizarin Crimson – https://www.anrdoezrs.net/links/8393718/type/dlg/https://www.utrechtart.com/items/02122-3063/
- Cadmium-Free Red Medium
- Cadmium-Free Yellow Medium – https://www.anrdoezrs.net/links/8393718/type/dlg/https://www.utrechtart.com/items/02122-4203/
- Cerulean Blue Hue or Pure – https://www.anrdoezrs.net/links/8393718/type/dlg/https://www.utrechtart.com/items/02122-5173/
- Ultramarine Blue – https://www.anrdoezrs.net/links/8393718/type/dlg/https://www.utrechtart.com/items/02122-5133/
Other paints that I like having:
- Yellow Ochre
- Phthalo Blue Green Shade
- Sap Green
- Burnt Umber
- Burnt Sienna
- Ivory Black
Surfaces I enjoy:
I like testing out different surfaces. My current favorite is loose canvas that I can mount later. It comes on a roll, and mounting it later will take tools and effort. And it’s a big initial investment, but then I don’t have to think about buying canvas for a longer time.
The canvas I use the most is Blick brand artist grade or “premium” stretched canvas. It’s really nice and high quality, but also affordable.
Acrylic Paint Supplies
The most important supply, to me, is the palette.
- I like these brushes in brights and filberts, sizes 2, 4, and 8. If you’re starting out, try out a couple different ones and see what you like.
- I use artist grade Utrecht or Golden acrylics, heavy body.
For acrylics, I use the same colors as oils: Cad yellow, cad red, quinacridone or alizarin crimson, ultramarine, cerulean blue, and occasionally yellow ochre and the other convenience colors listed above.