Dive into Color: Purposeful Color Exploration
Online Summer Workshop
Jun – Aug 2022
2 Fridays per month, usually the 1st and 3rd
10 AM – 1 PM CST
$275 – $250 (Jonni’s fans get $25 off!)
* Designed for adult artists with experience, but artists of any level are welcome.
* Demos are in oil, but artists of any medium are welcome.
* Live over zoom. It will be recorded in case the time doesn’t work for you.
* FAQ are at page bottom.
This workshop will have short lessons and demos and a lot of supported work time; you will progress in your skills through practice.
How will you choose which colors to put on your palette for your next painting? The journey to find out will be fun and revelatory!
Learning about the effects of specific limited palettes, and then practicing using that limited palette in your own color study will help you discover the palette combinations that speak to your heart.
You will come away from the workshop with more understanding of how to choose your palette colors for your next painting.
The workshop will be live over zoom, so you can join from the comfort of your own painting space and interact fully. You will have the opportunity to ask questions, show your progress and get feedback. And if the live times don’t work for you, you will have access to the recordings.
What You’ll Get
- Six 3-hour workshops
- each starting with a short lesson on a specific limited palette
- then a short demo (just a sketch-in, not a full painting demo – to save most of the time for you to paint)
- then 90 minutes of painting time to practice a color study, during which time you can ask questions, share work, or ask for feedback – or just paint with company. I’ll be on the zoom.
- and ending with Q&A / sharing time
- Anytime access to recordings of the lessons, demos, Q&A and sharing time until 2 weeks after the end of the workshop
- You can email me with questions about the lessons or to request painting critiques – starting with a specific question or concern of yours
What artists say about my online workshops
“I’ve enjoyed [the workshop] immensely, and feel more confident in my use of oils and landscapes…” Lynda D W
“Your Zoom classes have been making an online painting class feel very much like a live classroom experience. I have enjoyed painting with you and I feel like I’m learning more all the time! Thank you!” K. Clark
“I really love the classes. You’re a great teacher and you make it fun!” Hattie
“I can’t tell you how excited I am to find you and finally make a decision to paint again. I have been in my oil paint four days in a row. Saturday was so fun. I loved painting with a limited palette. That was an eye opener. […] I do believe with some guidance I can achieve what my mind envisions. Sincerely, Anne Marie”
“I have enjoyed your online lessons….. You are a very talented artist and I’ve enjoyed ‘meeting’ you!” Shelley P
- An internet connected device close to where you’ll paint, so you can paint while you participate on zoom.
- Paint setup (contact me if you’d like suggestions), including a couple brushes. Small palette knife recommended.
- Small inexpensive painting panels for color studies; 1-3 for each workshop, depending on your painting speed and style.
For demos I will use the following oil paint colors. I encourage substitutions, and you are welcome to contact me with any questions or to request a lesson on setting up to paint.
- Titanium White
- Cad Yellow Medium (hue or cadmium free are great)
- Cad Red Medium (hue or cadmium free are great)
- Permanent Alizarin Crimson or Rose Matter Hue
- Ultramarine Blue
- Manganese Blue or Cerulean Blue
- Chromatic Black
- Yellow Ochre
- Thalo blue
About the Instructor
Hi, I’m Jessie. I love to help artists become more confident painters in my online workshops.
I am a professional artist based in South Dakota, an exhibiting member of Oil Painters of America, an award-winning member of the American Impressionist Society, a Signature Member of Artists of the Black Hills, and a Southwest Art Magazine “Artist to Watch”.
My work focuses on capturing the invisible connection between animals in a group, between animals and the land, and between people – in an unsentimental, painterly style filled with visible brush strokes and palette knife marks. The result is artwork which is often described as both “painterly” and “comforting.”
I am passionate about color, composition, brush and palette knife marks, and making beautiful art.
Q: What days will it be?
A: Friday, Jun 3 & 17. For July and Aug, the dates will be announced one month in advance (usually the 1st and 3rd Friday of the month).
Q: Can I enroll my kid in the workshop?
A: This is designed for adult artists. Teens with adult-level maturity would be welcome. For younger kids, sorry, this isn’t the right workshop.
Q: Will it be recorded?
A: Yes! Enrolled students will have access to recordings until two weeks after the end of the workshop.
Still not sure whether this workshop is right for you? You’re welcome to ask questions.
You’ll love it. Guaranteed. If you do not love the class, just let me know within 2 days of the first zoom for a no-hassle refund.
10-artist minimum. Please help spread the word. I expect the workshop to fill, but if it doesn’t, you’ll get a full refund.
If you’re looking for an intensive weekend workshop, check this workshop out.